- They’re lawsuit-proof. Not technically, but the fact is no one knows how much gold you have – it is a private matter.Gold is “off the books” when it comes to financial accounting.
- It has a history of being money, an independent unit of account that is the same no matter where it was mined or how old it is. It is a constant measurement of value; you can take a gold piece anywhere in the world and it will still have value. This is much different than a fiat currency. Once outside of your nation’s borders, a currency may not be generally accepted. You also have thousands of fiat currencies that no longer have any value, like the U.S. Continental or the Confederate States of America dollar.
- It can’t go to zero. Zero value for gold isn’t an option. It hasn’t ever happened, and never will. The process to get a one-ounce gold coin to you has hundreds of man hours behind it, and maybe even thousands, if you consider the full operation of gold exploration, production, refinement, and delivery. This is the entire point of saving your wealth: you save to not lose. I understand that you can measure gold vs. the dollar or gold vs. oil, and that its price will fluctuate, but the value in gold itself does not change.
- The currency printers are hoarding it. When the most powerful group of people in the world, the central bankers, desire to have one asset, then that alone should get your attention. Central banks print the currencies that the masses treat as a store of value, and those central banks buy and store physical gold – not silver, not houses, not oil, they own gold! If it is good enough for the masters of this world, then it’s good enough for me.
- It’s financial insurance. When it all hits the fan… Be it from a government or economic collapse, at the end of the day, gold survives. It still has value in the new world. It also makes for a great “start over fund” for the reasons listed above. It won’t go to zero, and it’s private money.
- It’s portable. I think it’s important that if you need to, you could easily carry or move your wealth to a different region. Just to give you an idea, $250,000 in gold is about the size of a VHS tape. Your fiat currencies are typically tied up over the weekend and on bank holidays; in fact, even if you wanted to physically get your cash, you couldn’t unless you gave your bank a 72-hour notice for withdrawals of over $5,000.
- It’s legacy wealth. Gold is something you can safely store away, knowing that it is something of great value that you can pass on to your children and your children’s children. It is a safe stash of value that you can tap into when you are in your “golden” years, or at any time throughout your life.
Ultimately, when you are saving a portion of your earnings, you want to protect and preserve it. Gold, in my opinion, along with the other precious metals, are the best way to achieve the objective of saving money by preserving both the value of your savings and protecting it from unwanted dangers, like government and civil litigation.